Got there at 7am, wove my way to the Day Surgery area, got my GIGANTIC hospital gown and relaxed for two hours. I got my IV put in. They got it on the first try! yay!!
Husband stayed with me the entire time.
I was wheeled down to the surgical area, and then met with my anesthetist, surgeon, and his team. I found out that there were going to be at least three other surgeons observing, because a surgery like mine only comes around maybe once a year.
I think that is when I started getting a bit nervous. And then, I met the nurse who would get me ready to go into the OR.
I cannot remember his name, but he was so nice. He answered questions, and made me laugh. The best part - he was Scottish. I told him he could say anything he wants, just keep talking. He laughed at me :P
I made sure to tell them that I would like them to tell me what they are doing. Don't just do it and hope I understand. They were great!
I was wheeled into the OR, and then I scootched my way onto the OR table. They put a pile of flannel out, and told me it just makes it easier to intubate that way. worked for me!
They put the mask over my face, warned me it would feel like I was smothering, but to breathe normally. They were right - breathing in was fine, out was tough. My Scottish nurse made a joke, and off to lala land I went.
I woke up in recovery about 4.5 hours later. There was a lot of pain, and a lot of meds going into my IV.
I also distinctly remember my moms hand on my shoulder, letting me know all was well. (My mother died 9 years ago)
After they took out the arterial line, I was taken to the neurology step down ward. They were making sure I wasn't leaking anything I shouldn't. The catheter wasn't much fun either! After the first night, I was taken to a regular floor, which I was okay with. Except for the NOISE.
OMG - three people had machines that were beeping like crazy. After ear surgery - omg. I just about lost it. The nurses didn't understand why I kept buzzing for someone to "stop the beeping"... until they did some research on SCDS. They then were so understanding!
I had two good room-mates, and one that thought she was better than everyone else.
I saw my surgeon on the Friday after surgery, and he was pretty happy with how I was doing. The only bad part was that my pain levels were out of control for a while. For the first few days - I was on percocet every 4 hours. Which is pretty high levels of pain meds.
I went home on Monday the 16th.
No comments:
Post a Comment